Thank you for visiting our website
BOWERCHALKE & BROAD CHALKE COVID SUPPORT NETWORK
GOVERNMENT GUIDELINES: Full Guidance can be found here
The Chalke Valley Stores Opening Times :
Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday 9am – 4pm
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: 9am – 1:30pm
The Chalke Valley Stores, known locally as the HUB, is situated in the United Reformed Church in the centre of the village of Broad Chalke in the heart of the beautiful Chalke Valley, officially designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It comprises a Shop, a Post Office and a Coffee Shop.
In addition to providing a service to the local villages, we also welcome visitors from all over the country – indeed increasingly from all over the world. Many come to the Chalke Valley to explore the area which is rich in history and has many places of great interest to visit as well as events to attend.
Tony Patel, the HUB’s manager is supported by Dawn, Sarah, our Team Leaders and our large team of volunteers whose involvement adds to a strong sense of community and helps make the experience of visiting the HUB extremely relaxed and the welcome genuinely warm and friendly. Wherever possible our products are sourced from small local growers and suppliers who are dedicated to the use of fresh ingredients and very often to traditional methods of production.
Residents of the Chalke Valley use the HUB for their essential shopping as we sell a wide variety of household goods, stationery, fresh meats and vegetables as well as drinks and take-away snacks. Others use it for a coffee in the morning, a light meal of homemade soup at lunch time or tea with fresh cakes and scones in the afternoon. In addition the Post Office provides a full range of postal, banking and foreign exchange services.
NB we will closed on Monday 25th May – the Spring Bank Holiday
“WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER”
It has been an extraordinary month for everyone in the country and the way everyone has come together in the Chalke Valley has shown what a united community we are. The best illustration of this is the way volunteers have stepped forward to help in so many ways, both in the shop and in delivering provisions to those unable to leave home.
Tony is particularly grateful for the support and encouragement shown towards him and his team and he, in turn, together with the management committee, wishes to thank all those who have so generously given up their time to offer their help. It has been a testing time but the saying “we are all in this together” has never been more true than it is here in the Chalke Valley and the response has been truly amazing, so thank you all.
The HUB is featured on BBC Wiltshire
Tony’s was interviewed by Marie Lennon on BBC Wiltshire radio on 14th May. To say that he was a natural would be an understatement and he successfully put across how much he appreciated the hard work of the HUB’s new army of volunteers who have worked so hard to keep the HUB not just going, but extremely busy. This helped to generate an increase in orders for delivery by the volunteers plus an increase in phone-and-collect orders as well. Well done Tony!
Other shop news:
- Take-away hot and cold drinks, cakes and savories are now available and the take up is increasing as people are starting to get back to work
- Facemasks – both medical and non medical facemasks are now on sale. Made locally, a percentage of the sale price is going to NHS charities
- Tony has a supply of baking and bread making flour and also some yeast. This is good news as there is shortage of supply elsewhere
Post Office news:
- The reduced hours of the PO operation will continue for the time being i.e. 9am to 10am, Monday Tuesday and Thursday. The HUB staff is making every attempt, where possible, to “fast-track” PO-only customers when there is a queue for the shop.
- Our much-valued postmaster, Ed, has had to furlough all his staff. This means he is running the Post Offices at Tisbury and Broad Chalke single handed, both understandably, with reduced hours. Ed is doing a fantastic job for us and we are very fortunate that we have these three hours a week of his expertise and excellent customer service. Everyone in the Chalke Valley is very grateful to Ed for his commitment and hard work – thank you Ed!
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT FOR THE HUB. THIS WILL ENSURE THAT WE GET THROUGH THIS DIFFICULT TIME TOGETHER AND WITH OUR FUTURE SECURE.
Stay in touch
Join our mailing list and we will automatically send you news, information, special offers and promotions. You can unsubscribe at any time. Please fill in your details below and to prove you are human, complete the sum before hitting subscribe!
Chalke Valley Stores
URC Chapel, High Road,
Broad Chalke, Wiltshire SP5 5EH
01722 780 998
FREE parking available outside
Week Days 9am to 5pm
Saturdays 9am to 4pm
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
9am to 10am
Closed until further notice.
Shop, Post Office & Coffee Shop are all closed on Bank and Public Holidays
Many of the photographs used on this website have been kindly contributed by Russell Emm and Andrew Wiltshire (www.countrysidephotography.org).